Grand Staircase

2013/09/21

Rimmel London, Scandaleyes Waterproof Khol Kajal Eye Liner - Product Review

Hello!

Today I want to talk about a product everyone should have on their makeup kits: the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Khol Kajal Eye Liner in the color Nude. It’s a wonderful drugstore multitasking product that will suit both beginners and people already versed in makeup.



This eye pencil has been raved about by every Beauty Guru for being the first waterproof khol in a nude color sold by a drugstore brand. Before it came up on the market, there weren’t many natural colored eye pencil options to use in the waterline besides the ones from higher-end brands. The thing is: I haven’t heard much talk about this product’s versatility. And that’s just a pity because the most amazing thing about this item is that it is good at fulfilling many of your makeup needs.



So let’s jump into it:

Face

Corrector
If you follow my blog posts you must know by now that I struggle with dark circles. Under-eye concealer has long become my best ally. However, I’ve also came to the realization that counteracting my circles’ purplish-blue color before I apply my concealer makes a world of a difference. Well, this eye pencil does a great job doing so. Since it has peachy undertones to it, it really helps disguising the blue tinges. I like to apply it not long after I’ve applied my eye cream (check my review on the Liz Earle Daily Eye Repair) directly onto the darker areas (I’d advise applying it only where you need it) and then blend with my fingers. Lastly, I apply my concealer. I really like the results I get when I do this. Honestly, it will probably not work as well as the amazing Bobbi Brown corrector but let’s be realistic, it’s much cheaper.

Blush
This pencil is super creamy, therefore it blends really nicely onto the skin and that’s why I like to use it as a blush. It’s very subtle, super easy to apply and looks really fresh and natural. Once again I apply it directly to my cheeks after I’ve applied my foundation/tinted moisturizer (don’t apply it on top of powder cause it might look a bit cakey; try powdering afterwards instead). To get the best color pay off and since this product is so easily blended I like to use my Real Techniques Stippling brush (see haul) and just pat the product onto the skin with it. If you use the brush with your usual blending motions it might come out a bit too sheer to be noticeable. All in all, it’s just a quick, foolproof way to apply your blusher and you can always apply a powder blush on top to make sure you have soft rosy cheeks all day long.





Eyes

Waterline
This is no surprise. This pencil is great to use in the waterline when you want to look more awake and fresh, especially in the morning. It also reduces the appearance of any redness you might have on your eyes. Obviously it won’t last all day but it stays true to color for about two hours and then starts to slowly fade away. In general, it lasts for about six hours in my waterline which is not bad.

Eye shadow
I also really like to use this nude khol as an eyeshadow. It covers any darkness and vessels on my lids and due to its color it also helps making me look more awake. I just apply it all over my lid up to the crease and then blend the edges with my finger or a brush: it couldn’t be easier. If you have drier eyelids, I’d recommend using an eye primer underneath in order to prevent the product from creasing into those dry patches. The primer is also a good idea if you want to use this product on its own (with no other eyeshadows) because it will keep your lids looking flawless all day long. If you prefer you can add some definition to your crease (I do so with some matte brown powder eyeshadow) or just use this pencil as a base for the rest of your eye makeup.

Inner Corner Highlight
This is probably the way I use this product the most. If I’m late to go the train (which is every morning!) and have only 3 minutes left to do my makeup I usually just do my base, apply my mascara and then pop a bit of this onto my inner corners and blend it with my finger. This makes a huge difference. It instantly makes my eyes look brighter and more awake (even more than if I apply in the waterline).



Lips

Definition
It can also be used as a lip liner. What I also love to do is outline my lips with this product and then blend it out (if you have fair skin like I do this will work in a similar way as if you’d apply concealer around your lips to make them look flawless and your lipstick standout).

Filling
If you don’t have super dry chapped lips (as I sometimes have) you can also use this product to fill your lips. First moisturize your lips and wait for a couple of minutes (this is when I suggest you start doing another part of your face). Then blot you lips with a paper tissue to take off any excess that may be left. You’re now ready to fill your lips with this pencil. To finish, apply either a balm or clear gloss if you want to rock the nude look (which looks really pretty because this khol’s color gives your lips a rosy nude tone and not that awful death looking lip you can sometimes get if you apply concealer on your lips) or go for a lipstick or gloss in a color of your choice. Using this pencil will make your lipstick/gloss last longer and besides it gives you a more neutral base to apply your lip color (that means you lip color won’t interfere with the coloring of you lipstick).

Coloring
Undoubtedly this is my favorite way to rock this product on my lips. I simply apply lip balm and the go straight on with this pencil, applying it on the center of my lips. Then I just blend it out with my fingers and – viola! a quick, great looking nude lip. If on the mood I sometimes apply clear gloss on top. The only difference between this option and the previous one is that filling your lips makes for longer-lasting color.





Will I repurchase it?
Yes! I can’t see myself living without it anymore. Besides it’s really affordable. I bought through Feelunique.com (they retail it for 4,99 Euros but I got it for a bit less on a sale they had) – check my Feelunique haul post. The only downsize to it, I’d say, is that you have to sharpen it.

Do I recommend it?
Absolutely! If you don’t have it already go and buy it! Believe me, you need this product and you definitely won’t regret buying it. It’s an amazing product to have on your makeup bag and for travelling. It’s also great for lazy mornings or for mornings in which you have slept in and need to be ready in seconds. A bargain, really!

Please let me know if you have this pencil and if so, do you use it in any other way?

Yours,
M.

6 comments:

  1. I bought this to use on my waterline but it doesnt last at all! I do love the bronze colour, it's great to add some definition! I'm your first Bloglovin follower, yay! xx

    http://www.youtube.com/fernandag18 // http://ferdies-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, once again! You're the sweetest person!
      Yes, I get you. This isn't nearly as long lasting as some of the high-end ones. A lot of youtubers swear by the Nars eye pencils. I haven't tried them yet but there seems to be an agreeament about them being the best in the market.
      My only advise with this rimmel pencil would be to apply it in your waterline but really close to your lashline. But keep your pencil sharpened other wise it might look a bit messy. By doing so, you'll insure it stays on for a longer period of time.
      I don't have the Rimmel bronze pencil but I believe you. On an everyday basis I like to use one of the Essence Gel Eyeliners in a bronzy colour (it was a limited edition, I guess). It looks really natural but still defines my eyes.
      XX
      M.

      Delete
  2. Nice review there.. hmm.. I hope you wont mind me giving you a suggestion ?
    You have a nice blog but all these fonts styles and colors are a little distracting.. almost like you get irritated while reading.. :/ it would be alot better if u would just mellow it down a little. but none the less you have a great blog :)
    Wanna follow each other on bllog and facebook ?
    Lemme know.. :)
    http://theparisiandreamevents.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this pencil but I love the review you did on it. Definitely need to check it out! Thanks for sharing :)
    xo
    Marija

    www.rosehorseshoe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! I have this! would you like to follow eachother?
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this post! I'd also be happy to answer any question you might have!